Attorney Profile : Matthew B. Hayes, Esq.
fter graduating from UCLA Law School and completing a Judicial Clerkship with the Supreme Court of Alaska, Mr. Hayes has spent the past decade practicing employment law. Before starting his own law firm, Mr. Hayes honed his legal skills working at several of the country’s largest and most well respected international law firms, including Latham & Watkins, Littler Mendelson, and Greenberg Traurig. Throughout his career, Mr. Hayes has repeatedly been recognized by his peers as a preeminent attorney in the field of employment law, having been selected as a Super Lawyer, Rising Star, by Los Angeles Magazine, Law & Politics, in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2009. He has published several articles and regularly conducts speeches and presentations concerning a variety of legal issues in the employment context.
Mr. Hayes’ practice presently focuses on both employment litigation and counseling. He has litigated numerous class action and single plaintiff lawsuits concerning a variety of employment disputes, including claims for wage and hour violations, discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, unfair competition, and trade secret misappropriation. Mr. Hayes also has significant experience negotiating severance agreements on behalf of both employees and employers. In addition, he regularly assists employers with preventative counseling, conducting internal investigations, and preparing workplace policy and procedure manuals.
If you have an employment issue, Mr. Hayes has the skill, experience, and knowledge to HELP.
- J.D., UCLA School of Law
- B.A., University of Virginia
Phi Beta Kappa
- Judicial Clerk,
Justice Alex Bryner,
Supreme Court of Alaska
- Latham & Watkins
- Littler Mendelson
- Greenberg Traurig
Selected as “Super Lawyer, Rising Star” by Los Angeles Magazine, Law & Politics, 2005-2007, 2009.
Articles, Publications & Lectures:
- Author, “Looking Beneath the Label: Mislabeling of Employees as Independent Contractors Becomes a Focal Point for Employer Liability,” Century City Lawyer.
- Co-Author, “Sweeping Changes to Family & Medical Leave Act,” The Checkoff, Florida Bar, Labor & Employment Law Section publication.
- Co-Author, "The Crackdown on Employment of Illegal Immigrants Spreads to California," GT Client Alert.
- Speaker, BLR Expert Insight Speaker Series, “All Star Supervisors: 90 Minutes Gives Them the Key Traits They Need to Effectively Lead & Succeed.”
- Speaker, “Hottest Topics of Current Employer Liability,” Santa Monica Chamber of Commerce.
- Speaker, “Minimizing & Avoiding Exposure: Protection Employers Need to Know . . . Now.” GT Educational Series.